Friday, September 3, 2010

New Kids on the Block: #SMinOZ


So, there is a new kid on the block. (aahh I can now tick “using New Kids on the Block in my blog” off my bucket list) It operates under the name of #SMinOZ or its alter ego @SMinOZ.

Side Note: How cool is the above pic?

I’m lead to believe it started roughly over a week ago by a gentleman named Heath Evans follow him here or here or if you want over here.

In my opinion I think it is a great initiative and one that should be applauded. (Insert applause here) It’s great to have a place where we can share stories, network, promote, discuss, advertise jobs and connect with those of us who are in the same hood. By hood I mean Australia. And by Australia I mean the country and not the Nicole Kidman movie.

From what I have been able to gleam from my sources, (Said source being “What the Hashtag?”) I can tell you #SMinOZ is not only a hashtag but a “Collective of Australian -based folks interested in sharing social media resources."

Other unrelated things I initially thought it may have stood for:
- A nasal spray
- Steve Martin is coming to Australia
- Sminoz – a new word the kids are saying???
- Some form of rash

In just over a week there as already been 398 tweets and 177 contributors. (These figures may have changed or they may have not by the time I press publish). I myself have noticed a dramatic increase in followers since I started using the hashtag, which I’m led to believe is a good thing. Have you guys noticed any change?

The only downside to #SMinOZ to date is the number of RT’s that appear in the stream. It can almost come across as spam. I think the problem is that the number of contributors is still low compared to other hashtags. It should sort itself out over time. Feel free to shout me down if you disagree.

Some peeps I recommend following to date:

Follow them. DO IT. DO IT.

All aboard the #SMinOZ train or hover board.

Please check in next week when I attempt to work the Samurai Pizza Cats into my blog and tick them off my bucket list.

If you guys could please tell me below what your humble opinions are? Or at least tell who is going to win the GF?

GO CATS!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to be a part of #sminoz, talk about great initiative from Heath!

    I had no idea you had a blog, count me in as a reader now :)

    ReplyDelete