Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Simple Twitter Strategy

Hi, how are we all? That’s good. Wooo steady on, maybe a little too much information though.

I'm going to keep it short and sharp this week and let you in on a little secret. Not so much a secret in the literal definition. You will find that in the coming sentence. “Secrecy (also called clandestinity or furtiveness) is the practice of hiding information from certain individuals or groups, perhaps while sharing it with other individuals. That which is kept hidden is known as the secret.” I’m sure some of you will already know this and I haven't really kept anything secret from you. It just sounded right in the above context.

Over the last month my Twitter following has increased dramatically. It has made me feel
a little cooler and given me way more cred on the streets. No one picks on me at the local milk bar anymore.

I thought I might tell you, how I think I may have achieved this. I am going to share with you my very simple strategy. If you can even call it that. Let us just call it "a sentence I say a lot in meeting's when I talk about social media".

Are you ready? Here goes.

“Add value and make people smile.” (Insert gasping noise here)

Your thoughts?

Since I have taken on this credo (Whenever I use this word I think of Apollo Creed from the Rocky films), things have really hit a tipping point for my good self.












Apollo Creed one Sexy Bastard

Add Value: Just try and add value to your followers. Provide them with useful, relevant, interesting and timely information

Make People Smile: I generally believe people take themselves to seriously. So, have some fun. Twitter is a great medium to conduct business, but also have a little fun and let your personality show through.

To make people smile I have recently taken to sending people who RT me or offer me something of value, a YouTube clip as a way of thanking them.

An example if you will:

Whenever I get a RT I will reply with something along the lines of; “Thanks for the RT You’re the best” and a link to the below Karate Kid Montage.



That wasn't as short or as sharp as I thought it would be.

1 comment: